The City of New Bern maintains five cemeteries, open 365 days
a year, which encompass over 75 acres. The history of New Bern dates back
to the eighteenth century, so too, does the history of our cemeteries.
All of our sites are maintained and cared for in a manner which respects
a family's desire for reverence and a sense of dignity for the final resting
place of their loved ones.
Cedar Grove Cemetery, which is on the National Register of Historic Places,
established in the eighteenth century by Christ Episcopal Church, is our
oldest cemetery and still serves as an active cemetery, providing the final resting place for some prominent
figures in New Bern and our nations history. There are still a few lots remaining for sale.
Greenwood Cemetery, established in the nineteenth century, though having
no remaining lots for sale, is still an active cemetery, which is also
steeped in history. Established for the African-American community at a
time our nation was divided in war, and through the years of segregation,
it serves as the final resting place for many who struggled and gave of
themselves while helping to mold the history of our city and the African-American
people throughout the country.
Cedar Grove Extension, Evergreen, and New Bern Memorial Cemeteries, though
not filled with the history of Cedar Grove or Greenwood, are all active
cemeteries with available grave sites to meet individual needs.
Mark A. Stephens, PE, Director of Public Works
P.O. Box 1129
New Bern, N.C. 28563-1129
(252) 639-7501 Office
(252) 636-1848 Fax